Justice in Aging seeks a litigation attorney with five to ten years of experience to join our Oakland or Los Angeles, CA office. The successful candidate will work closely with the Litigation Director and the Litigation Team in developing and pursuing high impact cases that promote and defend the rights of older adults. The litigation attorney will be based in one of our California offices, but work closely with attorneys in all three of our offices (Washington, DC, Oakland and Los Angeles) on issues related to health, economic security, and preserving the social safety net for seniors. This attorney will identify, develop, and litigate impact cases primarily on behalf of older adults in California, and will also contribute to our litigation across the country.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidate review will begin on October 7, 2019. Questions about the position can be directed to Katrina Cohens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Handle cases to promote and defend the rights of older adults in federal and state courts, with a focus on litigation impacting older Californians.
- Develop and prosecute cases, including research, investigations, discovery, motions practice, trials, and appeals. Negotiate possible settlements in lieu of trial where appropriate.
- Work closely with the Litigation Director and members of the Litigation Team, as well as advocates and pro bono partners in multiple jurisdictions.
- Work with Justice in Aging attorneys to identify new cases that address systemic inequities based on race, gender, disability, language, immigration status, and LGBTQ identity.
- As needed, supervise fellows, law clerks, pro bono attorneys, and other staff or consultants.
- Limited travel will be required.