Reporting to the Director, LTSS in the Public Policy Institute, the Sr. Strategic Policy Advisor is a senior level professional with policy development and research experience in LTSS who identifies solutions to major policy challenges related to: Long Term Services and Supports (LTSS) including Home and Community-Based Services, Older Americans Act Services, Nursing Home Care, Managed LTSS, and LTSS Financing, including Medicaid LTSS. The regular activities of this position include complex and diverse policy analysis, solution development and thought leader outreach. The incumbent implements this work in support of AARP’s efforts in addressing challenges in the above areas, and does so in collaboration with other members of the Family, Home and Community (FHC) team.
As a subject matter expert, this person develops policy options and reform strategies to enable AARP to advocate and promote transformational social changes in line with AARP’s enterprise priorities. This includes conducting and overseeing the conduct of original research projects on high visibility and potentially controversial policy issues in areas of importance to AARP.
This issue expert critiques federal and state legislative and regulatory proposals, provides objective policy analysis to inform AARP’s public outreach and advocacy efforts, represents AARP in important public policy forums, and serves as an expert resource to AARP staff and volunteer leaders, as well as to opinion leaders and policymakers outside AARP.
- Identifies LTSS policy challenges and solutions. Uses appropriate methodologies and data to conduct and oversee original research on highly visible and potentially controversial policy issues in AARP’s areas of importance.
- Supports the Enterprise goals in protecting and strengthening Medicaid LTSS, assisting the Director of LTSS and working across teams with the Director of Health and Federal programs on the Health Security Team on Medicaid issues. Advises AARP leadership as requested on state and federal health program & LTSS policy issues and contributes to cross-enterprise initiatives where appropriate, including workgroups and strategy development.
- Provides objective policy analysis and expert guidance for timely use by key internal clients. Evaluates current policy positions and provides extensive input for the drafting of The Policy Book: AARP’s Public Policies.
- Develops policy options and forward-looking strategies to enable AARP to promote changes in public policy and the general marketplace that make it possible for 50+ Americans to live a better life.
- Critiques legislative and regulatory proposals in area of expertise, and provides objective policy analysis to inform AARP’s public outreach and advocacy efforts,
- Represents AARP in public forums, and serves as an expert resource to AARP staff, as well as to opinion leaders and policymakers outside AARP.
- Serves as focal point within AARP for issue expertise, participating in and influencing strategic planning and decision-making by actively serving on committees, teams, and working groups.
- Demonstrates AARP values and leadership competencies in all interactions.
- Completion of an advanced degree in Public Policy, Social Sciences, Law, Gerontology or a related discipline, and a minimum of 8 years of experience related to the position. Completion of a Doctorate degree preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the entire LTSS continuum of care and state and federal issues in LTSS including funding and operational issues related to home and community-based services; an in-depth working knowledge of Medicaid, including waiver programs and services (e.g., personal care, adult day services, assisted living), dual eligible programs (e.g., PACE); working knowledge of programs of the Administration on Community Living; state and federal regulatory processes; LTSS Finance.
- Strong analytical skills and experience analyzing LTSS data; ability to write data-driven fact sheets, policy briefs, and research reports.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Exceptional skills in presenting subject matter and data for all types of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with audiences using different forms of communication (e.g. written, oral, print/broadcast media, and digital/social media).
- Excellent interpersonal and partnership development skills.