The 2019 Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Conference, held in Baltimore, Maryland, was the 35th annual HCBS Conference. On Sunday, August 25, state members from across the country met for ADvancing States' 2019 Fall Meeting. From August 26-29, more than 1,500 attendees from 50+ U.S. States and Territories took part in over 130 sessions focused on issues across the spectrum of aging and disability policy. The slides from these sessions are posted below.
During the 2019 HCBS Conference, NASUAD announced that the organization's new name is now ADvancing States. To learn more about this announcment, visit advancingstates.org/rebranding2019 and watch the video.
Monday, August 26, 2019
- Aging & Disability 101 Intensive for New Directors & First Time HCBS Conference Attendees
- CMS Intensive: EVV Implementation
- CMS Intensive: HCBS Regulation Implementation
- CMS Intensive: Promoting Health & Welfare for People Receiving HCBS
- Information & Referral/Assistance Intensive for State & Local I&R/A Professionals
- Medicaid 101 Intensive: Everything You Wanted to Know, But Were Afraid to Ask
- Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services & Supports (MLTSS) Intensive
- Money Follows the Person (MFP) Rebalancing Demonstration Grantee Meeting
HCBS Business Acumen & Business Development Learning Collaboratives
- Full Slide Deck (Includes Monday Intensive and all Conference Sessions)
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
10:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.
- ACL Track: The ACL Older Americans Act (OAA) Performance System – Crossing the Finish Line
- ACL/CMS Track: Enhancing Health & Welfare of Individuals Receiving HCBS: Federal & State Efforts
- CMS Track: Medicaid 101– Overview of the Program
- Helping Prevent Elder Financial Exploitation: Trends, Tips, & Tools
- The Basics of Managed Care & Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services & Supports
- PACE/LIFE: Moving Forward in a Managed Long-Term Services & Supports World
- Three Novel Approaches to Using Data to Inform State-Level Policymaking
- Becoming Age-Friendly: A State-Level Approach
- Navigating CMS Certification for Electronic Visit Verification Operations
- Considering Partnership Opportunities in Health/HCBS & Affordable Housing
1:15 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- CMS/ACL Track: HCBS Final Rule Current Issues & Future Directions
- A Diamond in the Rough: Supporting Housing Transitions for Long-Term Services & Supports Members in Delaware (The Diamond State)
- The ABC’s of Affordable Assisted Living: Case Studies of the Illinois, DC, & Ohio Experiences
- Electronic Visit Verification in Self-Directed Programs: Unique Challenges & Opportunities
- Best Practice Caregiving Mash Up: Complex Caregiving & Finding Great Programs for Family Caregivers
- Value-Based Care “From A to V”: Leveraging Partnerships & Payment to Drive Quality & Manage Costs
- Incident Management: Using Data to Identify, Manage, & Prevent Abuse & Neglect
- Modernizing Congregate Settings for a Person-Centered World
- Benefits Outreach: Promising Practices that Work
- Personalized Music - the Miracle Pill & #1 Non-Pharmacological Approach to Care
2:45 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- ACL/CMS Track: Raising the Bar in Medicaid HCBS & Community Inclusion – Showcasing Transformation
- CMS Track: National Trends in Fee-for-Service Rates within 1915 (c) Waivers
- Designing Inputs & Monitoring Outcomes: Key Considerations in Developing Integrated Care Models
- Using Pay-for-Performance with Medicaid Managed Care Organizations to Increase Integrated Employment Outcomes
- Is Your State CAPABLE? Funding Community Aging in Place: Advancing Better Living for Elders
- Three HHS/ASPR Products for Disaster Planning for the Aging & Disability Networks
- Innovations in LTSS: Washington State & Maryland
- Using Assistive Technology to Reduce HCBS Costs & Improve Quality of Life
- A Different Way: Alternative Provider-Driven Approach to Medicaid MLTSS
- Government to Government – How States, AAA’s & Tribes Work Together to Implement LTSS
- What’s Next for Me: My Life After My Career in State Government (discussion only)
4:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- ACL/CMS Track: Developing Person-Centered Systems: NCAPPS
- CMS Track: Engaging Hard-to-Serve Populations & Innovative Services in HCBS
- CMS Track: Medicaid 201- HCBS within Medicaid
- Workforce Development– Recruitment & Retention in an Amazon World
- Innovations in MLTSS Program Oversight: Leveraging the Power of Your EQRO
- Supported Decision-Making, From Theory to Practice: Helping People Keep Their Power to Decide!
- Did You Know Websites Need to Have Wheelchair Ramps?
- The Role of Oral Health in Health Equity
- Leveraging Medicare Fee-for-Service Reimbursement to Address Social Determinants of Health
- Building a Cross Waiver Quality Improvement Strategy Using the HCBS CAHPS® Survey
- Serving Diverse Consumers: A Training Model Using Human-Centered Design to Meet Healthcare Needs
Wednesday, August 28, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- ACL Track: What We’re Learning About Elder Abuse Through Data (slides contain preliminary data not yet publicly available)
- CMS Track: Electronic Visit Verification Requirements in the 21st Century CURES Act
- How Managed Care Plans Can Support Home Care Workforce Development
- Catalyst for Change in Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities Services in North Carolina
- There’s No Place Like Home: Aging Network Innovations in Home Modification
- Finding Quality in “Qualified” Financial Management Services Providers (discussion only)
- Alaska’s Success in Pre-Employment Transition Services for Youth with Disabilities
- State Experiences with HCBS Rate-Setting
- Asking LGBT Inclusive Demographic Questions - Lessons Learned
- NCI-AD Data Utilization with Managed Care LTSS Delivery Systems
- Innovation Track: Improving the Stakeholder Experience through Collaborative Digital Transformation
10:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- ACL/CMS Track: The Link between the Opioid Crisis & the Aging & Disability Network
- CMS/ACL Track: Innovative Strategies & Promising Practices to Recruit & Retain Direct Support Professionals
- Discussing Services & Programs for Persons with Intellectual & Developmental Disabilities (discussion only)
- Stuck in the Middle with Duals: Emerging Trends & Lingering Challenges (discussion only)
- Building the Next Generation HCBS Delivery System: Brainstorming about Future Directions
- Mobility Managers: Getting You to Where You Want to Go
- Rate Re-basing: Turning a Sometimes Painful Process into a Data Treasure Trove
- A Person-Centered Approach to Defining, Collaborating, & Sharing to Support a “Good Life”
- How LTSS Directors Can Use Data Collection to Make Policy, Training & Service Delivery Improvements
- Prepare, Plan, Execute, & Monitor: Lessons from the Business Development Learning Collaborative (discussion only)
- Innovation Track: A Comprehensive Critical Incident Management System– A Proposed Best Practice
2:45 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- ACL Track: Inclusive Transportation Planning Leads to Improvements in Community Transportation
- Medicare Advantage Supplemental Benefits & Value-Based Contracts: Role of Regional Networks of CBOs
- Addressing Elder Abuse & Self-Neglect: Successful Strategies
- Why Not? Public Health’s Role in Healthy Aging
- Designing the Participant-Directed Services Self-Assessment: From Checklist to Power Tool
- Developing Health IT Capacity for Successful Partnership with Health Care Entities
- Centene & NCIL Address Gaps in Disability Access– An Award-Winning Idea
- Meet in the Middle– How Nursing Facilities & HCBS Co-Exist & Thrive
- Training Wheels Are Off: New York’s Transition to Managed Care for Individuals with I/DD
- More Bang for Our Buck: Developing a Report Card & Value-Based Payment for Assisted Living
- Building Infrastructure & Coming Home– Improving Access to LTSS for American Indians & Alaska Natives
- Innovation Track: West Virginia’s Social Determinants of Health Survey Pilot
4:15 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.
- ACL Track: Ensuring Person-Directed Principles When Integrating HCBS with Healthcare Systems
- CMS Track: Value-Based Payment for HCBS
- Healthy Food is Right Around the Corner
- Best Practices in Supporting Family Caregivers Who Care for Older Adults
- HCBS, Workforce Development, & the Impact of Increasing Minimum Wage
- To Integrate or Not Integrate– That is the Question
- Do You Measure What Matters? Indicators of a Good Life Across Aging & Disability Long-Term Services & Supports
- Cigna’s Collaborative Community Attendant Alternative Payment Model
- Waiver Managers’ Forum (discussion only)
- Strengthening the Protections for Social Security Beneficiaries Act & Representative Payees
Thursday, August 29, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.
- ACL Track: Supporting Self-Determination– How States Can Make a Difference
- CMS/ACL Track: HCBS Quality Part 1- Recent Advancements in HCBS Quality Measure Development
- Medicaid Managed Long-Term Services & Supports Coordination with Medicare
- Supporting Family Caregivers: Two Exemplar Programs that Use an Evidence-Based Approach
- HCBS Begins with Home (discussion only)
- Redefining Case Management
- Data Analytics, Beyond Compliance: Knowing Who We Serve, & Demonstrating Program Efficacy
- Urban Indians & LTSS – The Importance of Cultural Recognition & Culturally Attuned Services
- Trends from the States: NASUAD & AARP Economic Survey
- Innovation Track: MMIS to MES Modernization: One State’s Journey
10:00 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.
- ACL Track: Health Care Accessibility- A New Frontier in Business Acumen
- CMS Track: Federal Resources for Home Modifications & Improved Accessibility in Rural Communities
- Meeting Members Where They Live: How Housing Can Improve Overall Social Determinants of Health (discussion only)
- Expanding Mobility for Older Adults Beyond Medical Transportation
- Medicare Advantage: New Options for Supplemental Benefits
- HCBS Level of Care Eligibility: Why Do All States Do It Differently & Who Does It Right?
- A Tale of Two States & the Future of Alzheimer’s Policy
- Lessons Learned from PROMISE: Promoting the Readiness of Youth on Supplemental Security Income (SSI) for Work
- Innovation Track: Secret Sauce– Separating Clinical from Administrative Tasks
11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m.
- ACL Track: The Juggling Act– State Roles in Managing Opportunities & Risks with Value-Based Care
- CMS/ACL Track: Inclusive Emergency Preparedness Strategies in an Era of Increased Natural Disasters
- CMS/ACL Track: HCBS Quality Part 2- Developing & Implementing a Recommended Set of Quality Measures
- The Value of Integrated Plans: What We Know & What It Means
- Realizing Self-Determination: People with Developmental Disabilities Directing Their Services
- Update on Federal Aging, Disability, & Long-Term Services & Supports Policy
- Twenty-One to One– How the MA APS Unit Defied the Odds to Create a Centralized Intake Function
- Caregiver Supports– What’s in Your Toolbox?
- Red Lake Nation– Building Tribal Service Capacity