ADvancing States represents the 56 officially designated state and territorial agencies on aging and disabilities. Each of our members oversees the implementation of the Older Americans Act (OAA), and many also serve as the operating agency in their state for Medicaid waivers that serve older adults and individuals with disabilities. Together with our members, we work to design, improve, and sustain state systems delivering home and community based services and supports for people who are older or have a disability, and their caregivers.
On behalf of our members, ADvancing States advocates for the advancement and sustainability of federal legislation, policies, and regulation that address the needs of state agencies, the individuals they serve, and the communities in which they live. Learn more about ADvancing States' federal advocacy initiatives, legislative news and updates, and how you can get involved.
ADvancing States' efforts to represent state interests in the design, development, and implementation of comprehensive long-term services and supports systems span a variety of initiatives and programs, including Medicaid, the Older Americans Act, and health reform. Learn more about ADvancing States' key federal policy issues.
- Build the capacity of the aging and disability networks to meet the unique needs of a growing population amid a rapidly-changing health care landscape.
- Safeguard funding, state flexibility, and beneficiary access to mandatory and discretionary programs that support and sustain state long-term serves and supports systems.
- Support solutions to short and long-term federal deficit reduction efforts that do not threaten the health, well-being, or independence of older adults, individuals with disabilities, and their caregivers.
- Protect and enhance individual economic and health security for all, regardless of age or ability.
- With bipartisan, bicameral support, reauthorize and strengthen the Older Americans Act (OAA) to better meet the needs of current and future seniors.
To learn more about ADvancing States' federal advocacy efforts, please contact Damon Terzaghi, Senior Director.